What will we cover?
How to use Randomness in Python and create a Rock-Scissor-Paper game.
Step 1: Randomness in Python
To make games interesting you need some unpredictable aspects. This is where randomness is used.
Luckily, Python has a library to make randomness. To simulate rolling a die can be done as follows.
import random die = random.randint(1, 6) print(die)
Where randint(1, 6) returns a random integer from 1 to 6, both inclusive.
Step 2: The Rock-Scissor-Paper game
I think most know the game. If not, read the rules on wiki.
Let’s try a game of it.
print("Enter choice \n 1. Rock \n 2. Paper \n 3. Scissor \n") choice = int(input("Choice: ")) computer_choice = random.randint(1, 3) if choice == computer_choice: print("Draw") elif choice == 1: if computer_choice == 2: print("Computer wins, Paper") else: print("You win, Scissor") elif choice == 2: if computer_choice == 1: print("You win, Rock") else: print("Computer wins, Scissor") elif choice == 3: if computer_choice == 1: print("Computer wins, Rock") else: print("You win, Paper")
Step 3: What is Next?
I am happy you asked.
If this is something you like and you want to get started with Python, then this is part of a 8 hours FREE video course with full explanations, projects on each levels, and guided solutions.
The course is structured with the following resources to improve your learning experience.
- 17 video lessons teaching you everything you need to know to get started with Python.
- 34 Jupyter Notebooks with lesson code and projects.
- A FREE 70+ pages eBook with all the learnings from the lessons.
See the full FREE course page here.
Python Like a Pro?
If you’re serious about learning Python, there’s nothing better than strong commits. At your request, we have created an improved version of this popular free online course.
This version has the following benefits to enhance your learning journey.
- Tracking your progress in the course.
- Questionaries to ensure you understand concepts between important lessons.
- Downloadable Cheat Sheets for fast lookup what you learned.
- Direct Q&A with the instructor to help you to understand the material better.
- Added material for better explanations and insider knowledge.
- Extra videos with more explanations and stories.
- Certificate at completion.
Start the change in your life and commit to doing something amazing that you have always dreamed of.